Monday, September 04, 2023

I'm Not Sure Why

A high school friend every year schools us on the difference between Memorial Day and Labor Day twice a year.  For me, I never really worried about either of the days or really knowing what they were all about, I just knew it meant a long weekend away from school and them work.

Now, that I am retired and on my own, it just is a really looooong weekend.  As I sit here composing this blog this Labor Day, I am making a mental note for next Labor Day.  I think I will find a nice cute little cabin on a lake somewhere and at least not dwell on the loneliness next year, do a knitting adventure even if it is just me!

For some  reason, this long weekend has been particular difficult.  I don't know why, but if you keep reading to the end, I might have some insight.

The weekend started out fine, I had a visitor over night on Friday night, his Dad picked him up Saturday morning and then it got really quiet, too quiet in thee house and all I wanted to do is EAT.

Saturday night was the PJKnits Zoom and if you are available on Saturdays, bop into the pjknits Ravelry group for the Zoom info.  Those wonderful Knitters who I am calling friends really helped to get me out of the funk that was earlier in the day.

Sunday was a day of reading and knitting, much like today, with a bit of melancholy as well, and eating whatever I could lay my hands on.  I couldn't sleep so I was up and at it, by 4:30 a.m. knitting, have a cuppa, listening to the crickets and waiting for the sun to come up.  And of coarse, there was a Scrappy Square to finish the day off.

At the start of the weekend, I decided I was going to concentrate on knitting on the Unwind Shawl by Tracie Millar.  You see, I am becoming a bit of a one or two project knitter right now, I know, who is this person and what have you done with Penny?  But, with the podcast, I feel like there should be some decent new content and I am sure that is what is driving this bit of monogamous knitting.

First up a pic where I started this weekend on the shawl.  The colors are very Fall and I really cast it on originally for an October shawl to carry me through Halloween.

This morning, I am finally to the last 30 or so rows, and here is where we are at for now. I'm saving most of it now, for knitting down at my local yarn shop tomorrow and another Zoom tomorrow night.  Hoping that it will be ready for blocking and the podcast at the end of the week.

And now, as we come to the end of this blog, I think I might have figured some things out.  Today, is not officially the end of Summer, that doesn't come until quite a bit later in September.  It is what  a lot of people call the unofficial end of Summer.

It means kids are full force back into school.  There is no more major holidays until Thanksgiving.  Vacations are pretty much over and we are looking towards cooler weather, leaves changing and for me, the taking down of a Sekas  that hangs on my front door all Summer long. 

It is one that my dear friend Norma did for me many years ago.  I would think of her so often as I would go out the door, and today, I am missing her and her no nonsense way of telling you things.  You always knew where you stood with her, she never held back.

And I can hear her in my head, live life, smile, don't wait, do the things you want and Need has nothing to do with it!

Thanks for reading this bit of feeling sorry for myself.  I am okay, really I am, just had a moment.

No comments: