Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Second Test Knit of the Summer

 Prestige Pullover by Tinker Taylor Designs is the second test knit I did for the Summer. Finished it yesterday. I have to say, I was a monogmous knitter on this on this test knit, because I knew if I didn't work on it, I'd be reaching out to the designer and telling her I was a failure.


I had issues from the start with my yarn choices.  The pattern is in DK and Darlene suggested knitting it in a marl yarn for the best effect.  I don't really have any DK in PYS, so I tried a Sport.  Gauge wasn't working out.  My next attempt was a yarn that was marled that my local yarn shop had.  Swatched it, and it was too heavy as well.

Darlene had set up an Instagram chat group, and as other knitters were posting, a couple mentioned they were using two finger weight yarns together to marl together.  So, back to my local yarn shop I went, where we matched up a Cascade Heritage in a ruby colorway and a Malabrigo sock yarn that has black, white, a bit of teal and ruby in it.  Now, these are not my normal color palette, but I gave them a whirl.

Again, had some gauge issues, and at the suggestion of the designer, I went down two sizes in the needle.  Changing sizes to a Large was not an option, as I had committed to a size XL.  I made it work and was able to get gauge.  

The design is all knit and purl in the round, and by the end of the second sleeve, I was definitely ready for it to be done. It has icord hems on the bottom, neck and sleeves and with the advice of my Saturday night Zoom dates, we decided the ruby would look great and it does as you can see from the above picture.

This is Tinker Taylor Designs, first design and she did a great job managing the group, answering questions, giving us videos or a technique or two and was johnny on the spot to update the pattern for us.  It is slated to come out mid August.  For me, it is going to be a great transition piece.  Please check it out when it hits Ravelry.  I'll keep you posted here too!




No comments: