Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Podcasts

Back right after Christmas, I showed you a pic of the MP3 Player I got for Christmas. I figured at the time, I would put lots of songs on it and use it to walk with when I have to walk alone. Who would of thunk? So far, I have songs on it but have yet to take it out for a walk. Rather, I have hit on something called Podcasts! And keeping with the knit theme, they are about knitting!

You see, I like to knit with background noise. Usually it is the t.v. Prior to my MP3 player, it would be QVC (thats where I learned all about jewelry), HGTV (thats where I was envious of everybody else's house) SOAP tv at night (getting caught up on AMC and GH) and finally I hit upon the crime dramas! They could be great knit background noise.

I tried knitting to my EZ/Meg tapes but they always put me to sleep. NOT that they or the content put me to sleep, but rather, their soothing voices about something I just love would put me out in my chair in about 1/2 of an hour.

So since happening onto Podcasts, I have been downloading them and using them as an alternative to background knitting noise when a rerun is on of something I have already watched several times. Knit Podcasts are recordings that knitters are making to talk about knitting. There aren't a whole lot of them, and some are better than others, but sometimes it is just listening to a fellow knitter that makes it interesting. Below is the list of what I am listening to:

Marie Irshad - out of the UK
Marie has some great guests that are fun to listen to. Debbie Bliss, Pam Allen from Interweave Knits, Amy Singer from knitty.com

Rhonda Bell - out of Texas with knittingnewscast.com
Rhonda's getting better, despite her love Lion Brand Homespun.

Caroline Morse - Fibercast
I didn't care to much for hers as it has other content, but I will check back, because after all, those who can do, those who can't bitch about others.

And finally, my favorite, Brenda Dayne out of Wales
An American who moved to Wales several years ago. I happened upon an article that Brenda wrote sometime ago for Interweave Knits. Brenda is witty and just fun to listen to. She has some great music from varying artists that she puts into the podcast. This has turned me onto some artists I never would have found otherwise. The latest being Bettye LaVette.

The great thing about Podcasts is you don't have to have an MP3 player to listen to them. Download them to your computer (as long as you have speakers) and you can listen to them right there. The whole Podcast reminds me of when I was a child and there was this really cool made for t.v. movie. I taped just the sound (there were no VCRs then) to my new cassette recorder I had gotten from Santa. I listened and listened to that tape. Sometimes while I was nodding off to sleep (I didn't knit then, just dreamed alot).

If only I had marketed that idea as a child!

No comments: