Monday, July 27, 2020

To Do Lists and Goals

Sundays at PJKnits have always been for setting goals and making to do lists.  I did it while I was working to keep my self on track, both at work and at home.  There were so many directions to try and keep tabs on.

Then, when I retired a couple of months ago, I decided to just embrace things as they come and spend a couple of months doing what I want to.  I am still doing that, but thought it may be time to bring back my notebooks, of which  have more than the two below.  I decided a couple of weeks ago to resurrect my PHD notebook and then on Saturday decided I needed a to do list.

My first notebook, is my daily to do list.  It has knitting and other things I would "like" to accomplish, but the key is I am not going to beat myself up if I don't complete.  In retirement, there is always tomorrow right?!  So far into day 3, I am doing ok on my list.  Only one thing did not get done yesterday, but that may have been a little ambitious on my part.


My second notebook is by month, a page for each month between now and the end of the year of what I would like to accomplish in my knitting. And no eye rolling readers, in less than 5 months Christmas will be over!


One of the daily tasks I would like to accomplish is an hour a day of knitting on my Kimono Shawl from Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawls book.  This thing has been on the needles for more than a year, and only really was knit on during our Hospice meetings as it is intended to be a Hospice Shawl when it is finished.

I have plugged this one into my daily to do list, and hope to finish it before Fall gets here.


In my knitting projects is a scrappy blanket out of mitered squares.  I knit quite a few squares on it last Advent season, but haven't picked it up since then really.  I decided that on Sundays for the rest of the year, I will knit one square.  So far, after the third week, I am happy to report that I am on point and have knit one each Sunday.  #scrappysunday


My whole to do list/goals thingy, in my opinion, is good for me.  And funny thing, an article, I just read yesterday from CNN addressed the some really good points on setting goals/to do lists and I have pulled the ones that I think are good ones.

Be flexible
This is not a wish list
Set mini goals per day, unfinished ones could be considered a weight, don't let them
This is meant to be decrease anxiety
What a great record of accomplishment
If you need to rank them in order of importance

Knit On!

No comments: