Saturday, January 30, 2021

Knitting Camp

Last week on Facebook, Meg announced that there would not be a Knitting Camp again his year due to that pesky Coronavirus.  😩

Which got me to thinking, why not over the next 18 monthsish don't I do a little self exploring the EZ/Meg books that I have and maybe knit a few things from it.  When you have the Godmother of Knitting at your disposal via books and CDs, why not take it and all the snippets you have gleaned at knitting camp since I first attended in 1996 and really use it.

Why not start with Knitting Workshop by Elizabeth Zimmermann?  As you can tell, I have the original that I have had forever, along with the latest version and the DVDs of the same book which has Elizabeth talking directly to me.


 

And so it begins. I cast on a little swatch using long tail cast on which is what I almost always use, using not a slip not but catching the yarn as Meg first taught me all those years ago.  But, the ah ha moment was EZ on the video telling me that after long tail casting on, what I have really done was the e cast on and knit the first row!  Did I know this?!  Certainly, I must have?



My first section I decided to knit continentally.  I am not very good at it, but one of the outcomes of my journey is that I be a better continental knitter for color work.


Section 2 had me trying to purl continentally, and as EZ said I did twist my stitches.  And for the sake of this blog,  I do not like purling continentally and am NOT going to start now, so I continued a few more rows in my little sample, knitting the English way, then finishing with continental.  And I am ok with that, because, yes dear Elizabeth, I am the boss of my knitting!


And so it begins.  I am not rushing through this, there is no time line. except for the next 18 months or so.  I think I have coerced talked my Knitting Camp Roomie to come along on this adventure, and we would love to have company if you are so inclined.

Knit On!

No comments: