Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Trends and Direction in Our/My Knitting

 

“Don’t be into trends.  Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way you live” – Gianni Versace


I have been doing a bit of thinking about my knitting and the path that I have been taking lately when choosing patterns and yarn.


In the first half of 2020, so many of the sweaters that I knit and wanted to knit were based on what was hot on Ravelry, I was a sheep, part of the herd and not the shepherd.  It wasn’t until just recently,  my friend, Denise, posted on Instagram, her thoughts and a question, of what most appeals to us in a sweater pattern?  Something trendy or sweater styles that can’t be dated to a specific timeframe?  It was funny, not as in a haha moment, but as in a that was exactly just what I was thinking.  After coming off about 6 months of knitting trendy  and not paying attention to what sweaters were really me, my knitting thoughts had been having the same conversation with me. Is this really my style? Why did I knit that?


 As we turned the calendar into September, I started thinking about where I wanted my knitting to go as I looked forward to Fall starting unofficially, even though there were still three weeks left of Summer.   I was still knitting on two sweaters that I thought I could finish and  wear well into October and I was poopooing that we still had a lot of Summer left! 


Labor Day weekend came, and I had a bit of a conversation with myself about these Summer sweaters.  Yes, I could spend my time knitting on them, get maybe a wear or, at tops two wears out of them, but with Fall on the horizon, but did I really want to be wearing these bright colors into Fall? Or was I over them?  The answer was kind of sort of.  


I packed up Sugar Maple in the bright pinks, along with the pattern and notes as to where I stopped, stowed it away in the Yarn Room, with a mental note to myself to pull it out next February, you know when we are tired of Winter and start looking forward to Spring.


I continued to knit on my Ranunculous since it just need a weekend's worth of knitting left on it.  This was my second Ranunculous, and I loved my first one, but this was a short sleeve version with a slub yarn.  I had never knit with a slub yarn and I thought it would be fun.  But, what I should have asked myself before going down the rabbit hole, is the shorter version really my style?  At this writing, it is not finished and blocked yet,  so stay tuned for Finally Finished Friday.  I am still on the fence...


With all of this thinking about trends and what direction my knitting should go in, I have come up with several questions to start asking myself before I jump off onto knitting something new.  


  Can I wear it?  Should I wear it?  Do I really want to wear it? Or am I just trying to be one of the cool knitters?  


I need to be a smarter knitter, how about you?  Your thoughts?




 


 


 


 


No comments: