Monday, June 04, 2018

What's On The Needles This Week? My Sweater Project!

It's crunch time this week.  With just under a week until the end of the ZK Contest, I am knitting away on my Featherweight Sweater from Three Irish Girls Yarn that I bought last year at Stitches Midwest.




This entry will be good for 50% yarn bonus as Three Irish Girls will be vending this year.  Featherweight has been on my list forever as a sweater that I have wanted to knit.  This sweater is definitely a case where, just because I want to wear and knit it, doesn't mean I can.  There are multiple reasons why I needed to look at this very carefully and decide what mods I need to make to it, instead of just casting on and holding out for the best.



First up, I knew it was going to need extra length.  The shorty sweater has never been my style.

Next up, my cardigan sweaters have to close!  They cannot ever just hang open.  If they do, I am camouflaging it with my hand to keep them close.

And lastly, schematics are so important for me in looking at a sweater design to knit.  I have pelican arms, as I call them.  I cannot wear skinny sleeves.  One thing I always look at on a schematic, in addition to the bottom hem dimensions, is the measurement of the upper arm.  If it is a skinny sleeve, I have to either plan on adding extra stitches, using a larger needle to get a larger gauge on the sleeve  or not knit the design!

When I saw this design in a totally different direction at Stitches Midwest, I could see that Three Irish Girls resolved almost all of these problems for me.  And I got to try it on.  Their sweater is longer than the original, knitted on a larger needle and by doing a rib for the front closing, eliminated that pesky rolling of stockinette, that is another pet peeve of mine for sweaters.   And to boot, they had yarn in colors that are my colors.  I snatched it up and knew it was mine!



Now, the only issue left is when I wet block it, that it grows just a bit as I was running a bit low on yarn since I made mods on the needle sizing.  Note to all, buy more yarn than you think you are going to use.**


No comments: