Monday, May 04, 2015

Sweaters - What Do You Like?

Before jumping right into sweater knitting, you will want to do some pre-pre-prep work (you know before the pattern, the yarn and the dreaded swatch).  I would encourage you first find something you want to wear for a few seasons. Sure, you can knit the latest fashion sweater too and I certainly love the latest, but one that will test the time of fashion is always good.  After all, you are going to put a bit of work into it, you want to be able to wear it longer than just this year.

First of all, you may want to go into your closet and see if there is a sweater or jacket or piece of clothing that you love wearing all the time.  For me, I have loved this Laura Ashley sweater forever.  I wish I had bought it in every color when I had the chance.  I get more compliments on it every time I wear it, even though, it is starting to get some little nubs on it.



Several years ago, I found a good substitute for it in a sweater pattern  -  Walpole
The plan then was to change the sleeves only.


I am making a confession here that it is still in the project bag, and I really need to get it out and knit some more on it, because it has potential for the late Summer early Fall transition time that I always seem to have lacking in my wardrobe.

Some other items that I have in my Spring/Summer wardrobe for work wear are Mizrahi's sweaters.  They are simple sweaters with both v-necks and crew neck bands and they fit the bill with a summer tank under them.  And they fit well, or at least I feel that they do.



In the last few years, I've knit a couple of sweaters that were on the order of my ready-to-wear sweaters above.  Both are Knitting Pure and Simple patterns.



For me, Knitting Pure and Simple patterns are perfect for first sweater knitters, but I'll post about other favorites in upcoming posts.

The purpose of today's post on sweaters is for you to think about what you like wearing, what makes you feel good when you wear it?  What is it about it that makes you like wearing it?  Is it the sleeve length, the body length, does it hit where it should, do you just love the color, is it something you want to wear?


No comments: