Tuesday, June 07, 2016

How? When? Why?

How did I become a shawl knitter?  There was a time when I proudly announced I would never knit shawls.  I remember the day and where I was.  It was my first time at Knit Camp and every one around me was knitting them.  I just did not see me ever wearing or needing one.  I might have equated it with "being old" or maybe it was more of a skill set (fine yarns, small needles, lacey stitches) that had me making such a brash statement.

When did I become a shawl knitter?  Again, I can remember where I was and when.   It was on a plane to the Cayman Islands in February a decade or so ago.  The yarn was Lionbrand Homespun on big needles and was a simple triangular shawl.  The color was a beigey sort.  Always being cold, I thought it would be a great idea to take a shawl in progress on my trip and as luck would have it, I was able to knit it and cast it off while on my vacation and even use it a bit while there.

Why did I become a shawl knitter?  Honestly, I'm not a shawl knitter.  I just seem to be knitting a lot of them right now.  Let's face it, there is a ton of shawl patterns out there and some wonderful yarns to knit them out of.  Every time I see another new one on Ravelry, I want to cast it on.

My friend Becky says I knit them because I don't want to take the time to fit a sweater.  That may be a bit true, but I'm a compulsive knitter and there are some pretty cool sweaters that I have my eye on for this Fall.  But, in the mean time, I'm going to knit some shawls.

How about you?


No comments: