Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A Tale Of Two Gauges

A little less than a week ago, I bought yet another baby yarn in blue. I did not need it, but the Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino felt so soft and I could only imagine what a soft sweater it would make.

I did a gauge swatch according to the pattern I had chosen and was all the way down to a size 1 needle and still a bit off. But, I refused to go any smaller and figured the baby could stand it to be just a tad roomy. So, I cast on the sweater on the right. Funny, how un-soft it feels when you go down all the way to a size 1. I was going to give it up and even looked at other patterns.

I was close to chucking the project for now, when I decided what the heck, I'll go up a couple of sizes of needles and see what that gauge look like. The sweater on the left is the result. It is softer and I think I am going to like it. I just cast on the smallest size of the pattern on the larger needles and the measurements are right around where a 9-12 month baby would wear.

Easter is the plan end date, yes this Easter!

One thing is for sure, I do not need any more baby yarn. And I realized something when I was knitting on the size 1 needle, I don't like knitting baby things, they take a lot of knitting despite their smallness.

No comments: