Saturday, May 10, 2014

I Did It!

In the wee hours of the morning, I finally mastered Emily Ocker's Cast On.


Sure, I did it maybe once or twice painfully, but early this morning I googled it and it came up with this video that just made a lot of sense to me.  I'm book marking it for future reference.
http://newstitchaday.com/emily-ockers-cast-on/

Now, you might ask what is this you are knitting on and how does it relate to the post of yesterday?  I thought you were talking Summer knits?  Well, frankly, it doesn't, but while I was doing a bit of gawking on other people's blogs, I stumbled upon a post where they had knitted Elizabeth Zimmermann's Pi Shawl from the Knitter's Almanac in Malabrigo Sock.  I really liked the look of the lightweight yarn being used for the shawl and remembered that I had some Madtosh Sock that I wasn't quite sure I knew what it wanted to be.  I just knew that I had to have it a couple of years ago and it is way too dear of a yarn to be left sitting around unknit.

So I cast on (did I say in the wee hours of the morning?).  And was so amazed after looking at the video of how nice my cast on looked.  I had to tell myself to take it nice and easy and exercise patience as I was knitting with just a few stitches on four double pointed needles, to resist the urge to fling them across the room when the stitches were tempted to slide from the needles.  Anxious to get it onto circular needles and off of the double points, I kept knitting until they were on the circular needles.  Right now, the project is going to be in my purse as my on the go knitting, as it is perfect to pick up and put down when waiting for whatever.


Now, after that brief interlude, back to knitting something for Summer.  It is becoming clear to me that this one is going to be better for early Fall wearing.


I had a bit of a brain fade last Wednesday when Debbie and I were knitting on the porch of the new house.

I picked up the front of my sweater and commenced knitting.  I knitted all night at Knit Night on Thursday night, but when I picked it up last night, I wondered about when the armhole shaping was going to occur.  Duh, like right at the break, like two times of knitting it ago.  I ripped it out last night (early this morning) and now I am ready to read the directions and knit!


If I really hurry, I maybe able to wear it later next week, at least once, when the weather is going to be in the 60s again.  Otherwise, I am afraid this one will be best suited for Early Fall.




No comments: