Sunday, August 20, 2017

Self Improvement Sunday

**Warning** Sunday Blog Post from now on, for the most part are not going to contain much knitting.    There may be some knitting, because it is such a part of me, but for the most part, I am using Sundays, the start of my week in many senses, to do some self reflection, self improvement tasks for myself, goals for the week, look at the past week to see what I learned and what I could do better.

So, if that is not your thing, please come back on Mondays, when the regularly scheduled real knitting stuff will be back.  But, if you are staying with me today, I would love to know if you go through some of these same things, and how you cope with them, please post in the comments, really I want you to.

I'm a writer.    At home and at work.  At home, when it comes to knitting and blogging, I have this notebook next to my chair, well, actually, I have several writing notebooks and tablets around me.  I have this one for my blog posts ideas that I have for the week as I think about them.


The others are for purchases I may want to make and a tablet for planning.  I am a planner.  As an addictive knitter, yarn shopper, pattern buyer, I have to or else, I'm scattered all over the place.  I was that way yesterday after spending the morning at Panera with the Saturday Morning Knit Wits.  There was a lot of planning going on between several of us on an upcoming project some of us are knitting.  Put that with some caffeine, and by the time I got home, I was so psyched about it and what I could use for it out of my stash, I was pulling things all over the place out.  Which led me to about a gazillion finds of things that I want to knit and don't have the time too.  Which led me to my stash, oy the stash!

Before I leave that point, this  I believe for me adds to the stress of it.  And knitting is not to be stressful, it is supposed to be fun, and so the goals for this week include non-stressful knitting related activities.  My self-reflection and my goals in knitting are simple for the weeks to come.  Knit as much as possible on one-two projects only.  Knit what I want to, but use stash whenever possible, don't buy just because, think about it a little longer, and most of all, don't apologize for my stash.  It brought me great joy when I bought it, whether it was because I was with friends or because in my mind, I planned it, I knit it, I saw me wearing it in my mind and it looked good on me.

  It has been a string of stressful days this past week, dealing with a couple of people who think they can push their weight around and get it done because of course, they and their project is the only project we have going.

But, on the bright side, work allows me to do all kinds of knitting related events, and buy yarn for all the things I want to knit.  So, I'll take the good with the bad and knitting also has brought me some great friendships that listen to my belly aching and like me in spite of it.

Body Image - how it can add to our well being --  There is always the weight loss thing, and it has been such a roller coaster lately with the stress of working (I eat when I am stressed), and the exercise thing (I have not been very good lately, you know blaming the foot and everything), but I am aware of these faults and actively trying to improve them both.  There is a lot more fruit and vegetables in our house this week, so that is a start and also the treadmill is getting some use while I do laundry, so I see those things as a good start.  My goals this week are similar to almost every week, but lets give it the college try again - walk at least 6000 steps per day, healthy lunches preplanned the night before so they are ready to go, less peanut butter (I love peanut butter more than almost any food), walk down to Kumpf Blvd at least 2 times per week at lunch time, take my knitting with me and if it leads me to the coffee shop at least I have gotten myself out of the office at lunch time, which is a must  for me, wear things I like to wear and I feel good in and tip top #1 - stay within my calorie range every day for one week at a time!

The Work Thing - realistically, I've got at least 31 months before I can retire, but who is counting??.  So, I need to start making the best of it.  Work allows me to go to all the wonderful events, add stash to my hearts content and enjoy all kinds of fun!!   I am in constant contact with work, my assistant knows if she needs me, I'm a text away. But, I also, have 24 access to my email, which I am constantly checking when I am away from work.  For my mental health, I knew I had to stop this last week.  I checked my emails two different nights, and had snarky emails from two separate people.  Which led me to two sleepless nights, which I almost never have.  I came to the realization that I need to change this habit.  I shoved the email folders over three screens on my iPhone so they were not so easily accessible and vow that I will not open them up outside of work.

How to enjoy life in the next week -  I like to be happy, I like to laugh.  I dislike being unhappy, I dislike having stress, I dislike the ailments that I really think for me come from this unhealthy, too much stress self imposed and others imposed on me.  Changes need to be made.

So, this week, lets try and turn this around, shall we?  Lets look to a week of positive thoughts, reaching out when we need help, enjoying life with friends and family, accentuate the positive - it is a hospice week and if nothing else, that certainly should put a prospective on life in general, enjoy these days of August as the kids go back to school and we look towards cooler times that will be here before we know it and wonder where did the Summer go!

Have a great week, and thanks for listening, catch you on the purl side!


No comments: