Thursday, March 10, 2016

Another Bashert Moment

Today was Hospice.  Something so super amazing happened today.  And to think, yesterday, I wasn't sure that I would be able to go and might have to miss for a work meeting.  But, something pulled me out to the Hospice Home today.  You know that feeling you get when you just feel like you need to do or say something.  This was one of those days.

At the last Hospice meeting, I turned in my red, white and blue Heavenly Heathers Prayer Blanket.  I really didn't give it a whole lot of thought, other than how much I like knitting that particular pattern in whatever colors of Pacific I have.  It is a pretty quick knit and it makes me smile as I watch the different colors play off of each other.

I was pretty certain that it would go to a Vet and now I know it did.  This morning, Judy was telling us about how she was able to take part in a ceremony with one of the patients who was a Vet, how a red, white and blue blanket was laying over the patient during the ceremony, how poignant it was to be a part of the ceremony watching the patient being saluted.  She did not know whose blanket it was, but my friend, Becky said, I'll bet it was yours.  I smiled and thought she may be right, but perhaps not, and maybe at a time down the road, I may find out for sure.  

But, then sometime later, Victoria came in and told us that the patient that Judy had spoken of was actively dying and that his wife and daughter wanted to come down and possibly thank the knitter for the blanket.  They had went back to the room to get the card so they would know who knit it.  (pass the kleenex, please).  While they were doing so, I hear amongst the conversation "okay stiff upper lip".  These ladies don't know me very well, but I cry at the National Anthem, communions, births of babies, good news, bad news, weddings, funny things, when people hug me, hellos and good-byes.  What are the chances that if it is me, that I am going to remain composed!

It turned out just his wife came down.  I am going to surmise it was because he was very close to the end of his life and the family wanted him not to be alone.  If you can, I want you to picture in your mind, a slight woman with white short hair and a silver cane in her hand, taking precious time away from the final hours of her husband's life to come down to our room because  she wanted to thank and just hug the knitter, Penny, who knit the blanket.  

You know what?  I am not sure what I said to her, but I can tell you that I held it together, until she left when Victoria said something so moving, you are now a part of their lives, just by the blanket that you knit.

To think that if I had not went out to the Prayer Shawl Ministry, I would have missed this moment in time that, yes, brings tears, but also comfort to not only those who receive the prayer shawls and blankets, but their families and to us the knitters as well.  I am so blessed to be a part of this ministry of women knitting and crocheting, they all are simply amazing! 





No comments: