Tuesday, July 26, 2016

From My Library

Heirloom Knitting's Shetland Hap Shawls Then & Now by Sharon Miller.  


I love this book.  I love looking at the pictures of old and reading about Hap Shawls.  I wasn't really overly interested in history when I was in school, but for some reason when it comes to knitting history, I now enjoy reading about it and most of all looking at the pictures.  When I look at the pictures and read about the process of getting a shawl from wool to a finished, blocked wearable shawl, I can't help but think about the hard work and conditions they had to endure to work their craft.


 This book, although thin and had to be ordered from the U.K., is packed with info, charts and ideas.


There are several pages of charts and color combinations for Hap Shawls.  Every time I pick up this book, I get a bit of hankering to cast on one or two.


There have been a couple of books lately on Hap Shawls as well as some patterns, and one of them may be my Hap Shawl this year or maybe one of Sharon Miller's.  Either way, each time I pull this book off of my book shelf, I see something new.

The book may not be for everyone, but it is a favorite of mine!

No comments: