Sunday, May 29, 2016

Memories of My Youth

When I was in Junior High, my Mom finally let me go to the Indy 500 with my brother and Dad.  The only reason I got to go was because my new sister-in-law  was going and so there was another female to watch over me.  I had begged and pleaded for several years before, but because there wasn't another female going, I was resigned to staying home and watching a condensed version of it later that night.  It just wasn't the same.



In my Junior year of high school, my dad was transferred to Indy and I was so excited.  I was ticked though, when we didn't buy a house in Speedway.  I figured if I was going to be uprooted from all my friends, we should at least live in the city where I wanted to work.  You see, if I couldn't be a race car driver, I figured I could at least work at the track or the museum where I just knew I would meet one of those race car drivers and well you know there was my destiny.  Mom and Dad blew that one for me.  But, hey, I got a pretty good deal out of marrying the Tall Guy!



Since that first trip to the Indy 500, the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend is mine.  We no longer go, but the Sunday during the race is still my time.  Nothing, well, almost nothing will take me away from the t.v.  I plop my butt in front of the t.v. and watch the opening festivities all the way through the race to the very end.  I am a fan!

And so during that me time, it is a great time to get some knitting done.  Today's knitting features the current Hospice shawl.  You can see by the hamburger progress keeper, how much I have gotten done since last week.


This lap blanket is really my entry in the KAL #batterupKAL16 over in the  inaSknit group  on Ravelry.  It is supposed to be what I am knitting on while I watch the Cardinal games which I have been doing a bit, but not as much as I should be.  There are so many things to knit these days, wouldn't you agree?!

Hope your Sunday was as lovely as mine was, nice and relaxing with a few tears during taps and remembering.

No comments: