Sunday, July 11, 2010

Knit Camp - Day 2

Making yarn? I cannot believe I did this....preface to the story, about 10 years ago, I went to my first camp. All those around me were knitting shawls. It wasn't my thing, I didn't think it ever would be and I probably voiced my opinion that I would never knit want and probably would never wear one.

Fast forward 10 years later, I have several that I want to knit, own just one, but really wish I had more.

So it would be no surprise that about a week ago, I said there was no way I would ever spin! Okay, I'm eating those words. Bad Cheryl Oberle enticed me, helped me by picking out the right spindle and bought fiber for us newbies to try. She is a gem and such a giving lady.


My new spindle and my very first yarn. Yep, its probably a heavy worsted weight, but I am pretty proud of it at this time.

Nope, I'm not very fast, nor can I say I really have the hang of it yet, but, there is hope.

And of course, with a spindle there must be fiber. The cream is what Cheryl gave me and the other is what I bought from Briar Rose Fibers. I'm saving it for when I get good, so I can maybe knit a pair of sox from it.

There was again another wonderful day at camp with workshops (I learned what to do for a drop stitch when it is next to the cast on), there was some fantastic show and tell that you will see in the next few days after I get home, Meg showed some of the sweaters that will be in the garter stitch book to be released at a later date, and there were some great vendors at the market today.

Only one more day left for official camp, how quick the time flys and how many new friends are being made. What a great weekend.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Chuckle....you've caught the spindle bug! You're doing grat!