Monday, December 28, 2015

A Year of My Blessings - Part 1 - Hospice

2015 was the first year of a new prayer shawl ministry at a local Hospice Home.  I have blogged before about how much I enjoy being a part of this ministry.  I cannot put into words how much this warms my heart to do this.   It is such a calming place, not at all what I would have imagined a place where one would spend their last days.  If ever, this is the place I want to be surrounded by what seems to me like a staff that cares and certainly a comforting place to spend the last days of ones life.



The Prayer Shawl Group meets on the 2nd and 4th Thursday almost every month, except for next month and major holidays.  To take part of it, I use vacation time or work over, but it has become something that I want to be a part of. I don't want to miss out on this camaraderie or miss seeing all the lovely shawls that show up every month for Shawl and Tell!  You just would not believe the shawls and blankets we see.


This is an amazing group of women headed by an equally amazing, generous woman.  She feeds us, adds to the yarn bins with some super cool yarns and twice a year when we celebrate birthdays she goes the extra to make sure those of us with dietary restrictions have tasty lunches and treats to eat.  What does that say about a person who heads up the Prayer Shawl Ministry?  She is a gift, a treasure, a blessing, a knitter and a friend!

Yesterday, when I perusing through Ravelry, I stumbled upon some favorites from a friend that is knitting prayer shawls for Alzheimer's patients which sent me in the direction for this post.  It should be no surprise to anyone, that I have a couple or three hospice shawls and blankets on the needles, now would it?!

The Green Heather Encore Lap Blanket


The Madelinetosh Susan B. Anderson Shawl



The Kimono Shawl



I am so blessed to be a part of the Hospice Prayer Shawl Ministry.  On a cold, rainy, icy December day, I am so thankful for being able to be a part of this ministry and of the friendships that are being born and renewed from getting together twice a month and knitting for those who are in the very last stages of their lives and by knitting, perhaps, I can make them comfortable and they can feel the love and prayers that go into the knitting of the shawl that they have received,


Today, might be a good day instead of casting on something new, I worked on one of my Hospice Shawls!

Stay warm!  Stay Safe!

No comments: