Monday, March 31, 2008

That Gauge Thing


Those who know me well, know I am fanatical about getting gauge. For alot of years, I ignored it, and always thought that I was a bad knitter, when my sweaters didn't fit right. Until, I discovered through the help of Judy Chan that if you do a gauge swatch and measure your body and then knit the sweater to fit these measurements, you are almost sure to get a sweater that fit.

So, it should be no surprise that, I spent several hours Saturday night and a couple on Sunday, working gauge swatches for the Cinnamon Bark sweater. Problem is when I finally got gauge (al the way down to a size 1), I did not like the hand of the knit that I was getting.

Back to the hand I liked and a larger needle. Now, with the help of what I learned from Judy many years ago, I will rework the pattern to fit my gauge.

I have been wanting to do this sweater for a few months but could never really find the yarn I wanted to use. Then, a wild thought came to me. I remembered seeing this Baby Twist from Alpaca With A Twist over at Morton a few weeks ago.



Normally, I am not a cinnamon kind of girl, but the color in Knitter's has been haunting me. What was even better, it was on sale!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Penny, how is the sweater coming? I'm knitting it in the yarn called for: Divine.

Finished the back and decided to do the sleeves next.

I understand there are a few problems with the directions. I'm researching them. I did find an error in Chart F -- it shows six stitches in an area where there should be five. I ignored the six stitches and all was well.

Good luck!
Norma in Oregon
nrh@bendcable.com