Friday, February 15, 2013

Purl Ridge

This little gem has been in my knitting bag for several months.  It was a great project to have in there when I needed something to knit on in public and could carry a conversation on and knit.  It is   Stephen West's Purl Ridge Scarf  - a free pattern!

This scarf can be done in almost any yarn.  I chose a really light weight yarn - Aracunia's Nuble with a size 4 needle.  I wanted something that I could wear with one of my fave turtlenecks to work in when a sweater wasn't needed.  


I actually cast on 200 stitches instead of the pattern's 300 stitches.  I did not want a scarf that had to be wrapped more than once around neck and I really did not want it mine to be super bulky.

I wrote the pattern down on a 3 x 5 card and made a mark by each of the rows as I finished them.  That way I didn't need to haul the pattern around with me.


The scarf can be worn as an infinity scarf too, which I like, but for the most part I'll wear mine doubled.

The bestest part of this pattern was the bind off.  I actually had read about it, but never used it, and I will use it again.  It consists of knitting 2 tog through the back loop and slipping the stitch back to the left hand needed.  This is definitely something I will use again.  My only problem is that I may have cast on a little too tightly, hence why I'll need to wear it doubled, mostly.  

I am totally lovin this pattern and may try it down the road in a heavier yarn.

No comments: