Thursday, January 15, 2015

Casting On

Today is the cast on day for the Kimono Shawl by Cheryl Oberle over at the the Knitaway Group on Ravelry .  I've got mine cast on and will be working on it more later this weekend.  This knit is a prayer shawl for the hospice home.


I swatched mine last night out of another color of  Rylie yarn and did the cheater way of getting it dried.  I sat the swatch in front of the heating vent and turned the plastic cover around to force the heat down on it so it would dry by this morning.


I did not do a super big swatch, because I really only wanted to get a feel for the width of the shawl.  My swatches use Cheryl's 30 stitch swatch magic.  You can find the link  here  .  I use it for almost all of my swatches.  I always surround my swatches with garter at the beginning and ending of each row and the top and bottom of the swatch to keep it from rolling up while be blocked and measured.


If you are looking for a fairly easy lace project, I recommend the Kimono Shawl.  You can easily pay attention to the chart while knitting it (and of course I will be marking each of my repeats so I stay the coarse) and if charts aren't your thing, Cheryl in her book Folk Shawls, gives you the written instructions too.  I am finding though, that after several years of insisting of ONLY knitting from the written instructions, I really am liking charts.

My laptop sometimes doubles as a chart holder for my pattern.


Guess I really should invest in one of those larger chart holders.  We've come such a long way since the stand up easels and magnetic boards!





No comments: